Accepted Ditch some of the questions on divisional interest forms.

The suggestion has been accepted.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OneUniqueLAD

Reaction score
Hi,

Can we ditch questions such as "Why do you want to join this division?" and "What do you feel like you can bring to this division?" on a divisional interest form?

As this form is for ride alongs people may not know if they even want to join a division until they've done a ride along. If anything a ride along is a good opportunity for the job role to sell it to potential applicants. In real life I've never seen any ride along paperwork that actually asks those questions and as someone that has done loads of ride alongs for various departments within my force area I've not once been asked any of those questions. Could this be reconsidered?

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
The Divisional Interest Forms are also used while in Recruitment, if someone feels that they need to gain a little more knowledge then they will fill in said form. this also helps them along with their application. That's the reason for those questions being there

Surely then the questions should be based more around what the person is hoping to gain ie extra knowledge around a particular subject or is it a general ride along?

If I just want a ride along do I have to fill in those fields bearing in mind I may not potentially even know until I've done the ride along?

Hello OneUniqueLAD

Just out of curiosity, which question(s) are you referring to?

1) What do you understand that this division does?
2) Why do you want to join this division?
3) What do you feel that you can bring to this division?

All 3 of these questions fit very well within an interest form. Ill break it down.

1) Ridealongs may be tailored to fit your interest, so we ask what you already know about the division. We dont want to sit for an hour boring you on something which a buddy can run over rather than in-depth (depending on your knowledge)

2) As this is an interest form, we like to ask you why you want to join said division, why you have filled out an interest form, this provides a clearer understanding of ‘do you really want RTPC for their specialty’ or ‘do you just want a fast car’

3) As Nick said above, we also use these forms and your ridealong notes during your application process. EG; if i have a ridealong with RTPC and I possess great comms and/or a great knowledge of roads policing laws, this will show the command team over at RTPC that i really want it, ive showed a great skillset and could be a great asset to the team etc

Thanks

Hello OneUniqueLAD

Just out of curiosity, which question(s) are you referring to?

1) What do you understand that this division does?
2) Why do you want to join this division?
3) What do you feel that you can bring to this division?

All 3 of these questions fit very well within an interest form. Ill break it down.

1) Ridealongs may be tailored to fit your interest, so we ask what you already know about the division. We dont want to sit for an hour boring you on something which a buddy can run over rather than in-depth (depending on your knowledge)

2) As this is an interest form, we like to ask you why you want to join said division, why you have filled out an interest form, this provides a clearer understanding of ‘do you really want RTPC for their specialty’ or ‘do you just want a fast car’

3) As Nick said above, we also use these forms and your ridealong notes during your application process. EG; if i have a ridealong with RTPC and I possess great comms and/or a great knowledge of roads policing laws, this will show the command team over at RTPC that i really want it, ive showed a great skillset and could be a great asset to the team etc

Thanks
Hi,

The first question I think personally is fair enough. I think because I've personally only used it only for ride alongs I sat here thinking that I may not potentially want to join a division. I see a ride along also as an opportunity for a job role to sell itself to me and show me why I want to join. Prior to one I might not want to join but I may want to see what they do, after having done the ride along I may think yes I want to do that or no it isn't for me. For example I did a ride along for a role (won't disclose which one as I obviously don't want to risk any future applications should I change my mind) as I only wanted to see what they do, I didn't want to join this team but thought the ride along may give me an insight. Subsequently after the ride along I still stuck to my initial thought process. I still had to put why I want to join the division even though at the time I didn't as I just wanted to observe.

If you use the form for other things though as well fair enough but I think you should be allowed to just tick a box or just say ride along for a couple of those questions. Admittedly as I've been in the server for a while now I've done a fair chunk of ride along and I'm a member of a few divisions so this form will become less relevant to me. I just wanted to share my thoughts though on the form. Thank You.

Hello

I will speak with Nick about this and will update you here this evening

Hi,

The first question I think personally is fair enough. I think because I've personally only used it only for ride alongs I sat here thinking that I may not potentially want to join a division. I see a ride along also as an opportunity for a job role to sell itself to me and show me why I want to join. Prior to one I might not want to join but I may want to see what they do, after having done the ride along I may think yes I want to do that or no it isn't for me. For example I did a ride along for a role (won't disclose which one as I obviously don't want to risk any future applications should I change my mind) as I only wanted to see what they do, I didn't want to join this team but thought the ride along may give me an insight. Subsequently after the ride along I still stuck to my initial thought process. I still had to put why I want to join the division even though at the time I didn't as I just wanted to observe.

If you use the form for other things though as well fair enough but I think you should be allowed to just tick a box or just say ride along for a couple of those questions. Admittedly as I've been in the server for a while now I've done a fair chunk of ride along and I'm a member of a few divisions so this form will become less relevant to me. I just wanted to share my thoughts though on the form. Thank You.
Hello OneUniqueLAD

As above, we have taken your comments into account and have changed the questions to best fit the Division Interest Form

With this being said, I will now move this suggested over to ACCEPTED

Status
Not open for further replies.