Suggestion Declined Fire: LFB Basic Incident Command Training Package

The suggestion has been declined. See further details below.

(JO-3) TheAshenCaptain

Station Officer
Reaction score
Suggestion Title: LFB Basic Incident Command Training Package

Division: Fire

Since becoming a LFF and having every training package (bar drone, will go for next time) it does feel as though the options on where to progress to are limited. This has gotten better, with FRU however everything currently is application based.

This is why I suggest a new training package. Basic Scene Command (BSC). What would this do, is this not scene command?

My proposal for BSC would be a invite only training that is giving to people for
- Great hours in a month (encourages activity)
- Good work on scenes (good knowledge of the division)
- Outstanding knowledge of the division (Shows competence and skills)
- Ride Alongs reward (encourages people to become a buddy)

What would BSC contain?

BSC would consist of basic training allowing for the people trained to take first scene command and be a singular point of contact for LFB FF on scene to LFB command and also control. By doing this they would be able to provide direct contact to eachother making sure the communications clearer and more accurate.

Ontop of this it would teach them basic things such as declaring a METHANE(r), but also allowing for them to do scene setup. More advanced scene assessments and teach them more skills for them to take on should the best of LFB become command.

Along with this, I would also suggest that they should get BAECO training to assist the OIC on a scene should it be requested. But also to allow the OIC on incidents needing a BAECO to take part!

How would you stop this from taking away from OIC's?

Apart of the training would state that once you have taken BSC would give examples of how to deal with incidents.

Overall I believe that this training would help LFB become better on scenes by giving a singular point of contact.

Please feel free to DM me or message here for any issues

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
So, all I will say is we have a incident command training package. However it is only given to those who have been promoted to Sub Officer +. Anyone below the rank of Sub Officer should NOT be taking command of a scene as they are not a recognised, trained officer within the London Fire Brigade with a proven track record and understanding of Incident Command and Scene Management.

Obviously I understand your points, however that is why I suggested it be invite only. By doing so it would give people who are experienced and show their knowledge, but arn't sub - officer (or dont want to be / can't be) the training required so that they are recognised as someone who is trained.

I understand if its a no however, it would open allow for people to get more experience should they apply for sub officer.

Edit: Adding onto this. LAS have ISC which was where my idea stemmed from...
Edit2: It would have to be given over to OIC should they arrive

Last edited:
The problem with it being invite only, it is no longer a fair opportunity / progression. It then becomes favoritism as it is a select few chosen by command.

By applying for Sub Officer, everyone has the same opportunity for progression.

I will be declining this suggestion based off what Jaypex had already said