Suggestion Declined MET - RTPC: Pursuit Safety & Awareness

• Thread starter Deleted member 5106
  • Start date
The suggestion has been declined. See further details below.
D

Deleted member 5106

Suggestion Title: Pursuit Safety & Awareness

Division: MET - RTPC

Maybe include in TPAC and ADV training about prioritising marked suitable vehicles fitted with emergency lights and sirens to be primary in active pursuits for higher levels of safety and situational awareness for other road users as well as the driver of the vehicle.

This is obviously due to the limitations in terms of conspicuity of unmarked cars.

So optional BUT recommended.

Positives:
- Safer pursuit due to higher levels of visibility especially at night time during a pursuit
- Other emergency service vehicles will see us quicker
- Vehicles may yield to us in a marked vehicle quicker than unmarked

Negatives:
- People *may* try to abuse this to push to primary(easily dealt with and told not too)
- *May* see less unmarked traffic cars on due to people wanting primary

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Vehicles considered suitable for the tactical phase include:

• marked cars fitted with audio and visual warning equipment which have been deemed fit for use in tactical phase pursuit
  • unmarked cars fitted with audio and visual warning equipment driven by tactical phase trained advanced drivers and deemed fit for use in tactical phase pursuit (forces should consider replacing unmarked vehicles with suitably marked vehicles at the earliest opportunity due to the limitations of using unmarked vehicles in pursuit)

Suggestion Title: Pursuit Safety & Awareness

Division: MET - RTPC

Maybe include in TPAC and ADV training about prioritising marked suitable vehicles fitted with emergency lights and sirens to be primary in active pursuits for higher levels of safety and situational awareness for other road users as well as the driver of the vehicle.

This is obviously due to the limitations in terms of conspicuity of unmarked cars.

So optional BUT recommended.

Positives:
- Safer pursuit due to higher levels of visibility especially at night time during a pursuit
- Other emergency service vehicles will see us quicker
- Vehicles may yield to us in a marked vehicle quicker than unmarked

Negatives:
- People *may* try to abuse this to push to primary(easily dealt with and told not too)
- *May* see less unmarked traffic cars on due to people wanting primary
Hi Freddie,

Not keen on this to be honest. At the end of the day, we are a game and if we start preventing unmarked cars from taking priority in pursuits, it will cause great discontent in the division.
Outlined in the College of Policing Pursuits page, both marked and unmarked vehicles are deemed suitable for pursuit management and taking primary

Hi Freddie,

Not keen on this to be honest. At the end of the day, we are a game and if we start preventing unmarked cars from taking priority in pursuits, it will cause great discontent in the division.
Outlined in the College of Policing Pursuits page, both marked and unmarked vehicles are deemed suitable for pursuit management and taking primary
Same from where i got this information (forces should consider replacing unmarked vehicles with suitably marked vehicles at the earliest opportunity due to the limitations of using unmarked vehicles in pursuit)

Hi Freddie,

That’s why I said don’t make it a requirement. That’s also why I listed positives and negatives. I guess it could be tried and see how it is. It’s just for more “realism”.

Same from where i got this information (forces should consider replacing unmarked vehicles with suitably marked vehicles at the earliest opportunity due to the limitations of using unmarked vehicles in pursuit)
And here.

Attachments

• C7C8E1DF-C4AB-417D-A9DD-624F5463F046.png
    C7C8E1DF-C4AB-417D-A9DD-624F5463F046.png
    60.2 KB · Views: 9
That’s why I said don’t make it a requirement. That’s also why I listed positives and negatives. I guess it could be tried and see how it is. It’s just for more “realism”.
People are more than welcome doing themselves but to be totally honest, its something that is relatively un-enforceable and adds needless restrictions in my opinion - unless people have other thoughts?

I agree with this suggestion, put it on a trial for 2 weeks then get feedback - just like it was was done with the callsign patrol area and car restrictions.

People are more than welcome doing themselves but to be totally honest, its something that is relatively un-enforceable and adds needless restrictions in my opinion - unless people have other thoughts?
As what Requan said, you guys restricted our cars for 2 weeks, there’s no restriction here just higher levels of pursuit safety here. Trial it and see how it goes. People including SPC and SM have been doing this too when on pursuits, including Kior and forbs. Trial ur and see what people think.

Maybe even make a poll in the musteroom linking this AND my other one about the unmarked requirement for primary in pre-emptives and ask everyone’s opinions!

Hello,

As per Leos comments. This is not something we are looking to implement.

Thanks for the suggestion.

As such, this will be moved to DECLINED