Declined Change to policy - ERT Pursuits

The suggestion has been declined.

T.Maybery

Police Constable
Reaction score
Evening,

I've just been made aware that the policy for pursuits within ERT is that station vans (specifically Ford Transit style vans) are not able to pursue.
When I asked a member of command regarding this two points come up a) safety b) realism, both extremely valid points on the surface but please allow me to talk my rationale through on why a ford transit/Vauxhall vivaro style prisoner transport van (not minibus).

a) Safety:
"Before embarking on a pursuit the officer, who should be an appropriately qualified and currently authorised driver, should use their own judgement, experience, skills, knowledge of pursuit policies and procedures and apply them collectively to the prevailing conditions to decide whether the pursuit is justified, proportionate and conforms to the principle of least intrusion." (Metropolitan Police - Police Driver & Vehicle - Pursuits Standard Operating Procedure (SOP), 2018)
The responsibility for a pursuit to be continued, and in a safe fashion lies with the driver of the primary vehicle, as in line with this servers IPP training. Continually doing a dynamic risk assessment and standing down if appropriate ensures the safety. Further to this, all pursuits are inherently dangerous and safety should be the pursuing drivers primary concern in all driving decisions, along with having a high degree of care for their own safety, their passengers and other road users.

b) Realism
"Station vans and 4x4 off road type vehicles specifically Mitsubishi Shogun fitted with visual and audible warning equipment, may only take part in the Initial Phase of a pursuit and must disengage at the earliest possible opportunity. This must be monitored by the control room and / or Pursuit commander, who must give clear directions to this effect.... The following vehicles are specifically excluded from undertaking pursuits:• PSU e.g. Carriers marked or unmarked• Mini buses e.g. marked or unmarked" (Metropolitan Police - Police Driver & Vehicle - Pursuits Standard Operating Procedure (SOP), 2018). By nature of this document specifically permitting these vehicles to pursue discards points regarding realism. In this server this would be executed by standing the PTV down at the first arrival of RTPC.

Thank you for your consideration,
T. Maybery

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Before we even do this, IPP needs a rework fully and probably retraining too. Theres been numerous threads about it. But otherwise +1

Before we even do this, IPP needs a rework fully and probably retraining too. Theres been numerous threads about it. But otherwise +1
That sounds logical, would be an exceptionally good chance to rework the policy too. Happy to assist with this process if needed.

Evening,

I've just been made aware that the policy for pursuits within ERT is that station vans (specifically Ford Transit style vans) are not able to pursue.
When I asked a member of command regarding this two points come up a) safety b) realism, both extremely valid points on the surface but please allow me to talk my rationale through on why a ford transit/Vauxhall vivaro style prisoner transport van (not minibus).

a) Safety:
"Before embarking on a pursuit the officer, who should be an appropriately qualified and currently authorised driver, should use their own judgement, experience, skills, knowledge of pursuit policies and procedures and apply them collectively to the prevailing conditions to decide whether the pursuit is justified, proportionate and conforms to the principle of least intrusion." (Metropolitan Police - Police Driver & Vehicle - Pursuits Standard Operating Procedure (SOP), 2018)
The responsibility for a pursuit to be continued, and in a safe fashion lies with the driver of the primary vehicle, as in line with this servers IPP training. Continually doing a dynamic risk assessment and standing down if appropriate ensures the safety. Further to this, all pursuits are inherently dangerous and safety should be the pursuing drivers primary concern in all driving decisions, along with having a high degree of care for their own safety, their passengers and other road users.

b) Realism
"Station vans and 4x4 off road type vehicles specifically Mitsubishi Shogun fitted with visual and audible warning equipment, may only take part in the Initial Phase of a pursuit and must disengage at the earliest possible opportunity. This must be monitored by the control room and / or Pursuit commander, who must give clear directions to this effect.... The following vehicles are specifically excluded from undertaking pursuits:• PSU e.g. Carriers marked or unmarked• Mini buses e.g. marked or unmarked" (Metropolitan Police - Police Driver & Vehicle - Pursuits Standard Operating Procedure (SOP), 2018). By nature of this document specifically permitting these vehicles to pursue discards points regarding realism. In this server this would be executed by standing the PTV down at the first arrival of RTPC.

Thank you for your consideration,
T. Maybery
Hello T.Mayberry,

Thank you for the suggestion.

You are indeed correct with the overview provided from the Met Police Driver & Vehicle SOP 2018, however there are some elements that are omitted that I think are also relevant.

Firstly, it is stated that 'Other police vehicles fitted with Emergency warning equipment for example some larger B category vehicles maybe excluded from a pursuit on the advice of a tactical advisor where they consider the use of that vehicle maybe prohibited due to its size and performance. However the final decision to exclude an otherwise suitable vehicle will for the Met CC Supervisor.

Drivers of these vehicles should in the event that a vehicle fails to stop upon request, assume the role of a Basic driver and report the vehicles last know direction. They must not drive in response mode in order to maintain contact with the subject vehicle'

Breaking the above down, as part of the Met CC Supervision team we do deem these vehicles to be prohibited based on their size and performance (ultimately they are large diesel vans with a higher centre of gravity and therefore less stable when it comes to handling) - this is working alongside the SOP policy that you have referenced.
Also, in terms of the games mechanics and operation we want response drivers to respond and PT drivers to transport we feel that allows a decent strucutre within game.

On that basis unfortunately I will be rejecting this request on this occassion, as ever procedures are constantly under review and if this is to change in the future we would of course inform everyone as required.

Thanks again.

C1 Daniel