Declined Changes to MOT, TAX and Insurance Pursuits

The suggestion has been declined.
Status
Not open for further replies.

(OS5) rayson1769

Sergeant
Reaction score
My Thoughts:

I believe MOT, TAX and Insurance pursuits should be delt with to the extent of a Stolen/FTS pursuit.

Reason:

- If someone is failing to stop for a reason like that, it probably means they are hiding something for example drugs, stolen goods, the fact they are apart of a OCG etc.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I believe it's too high risk for this. Whilst potentially true that failing to stop for simply having no tax/mot/insurance is very rare, it isn't un heard of.

For FTS/stolen markers, RTPC are permitted to do tactical contact if the situation calls for it and it's justified. Doing tactical contact on a vehicle failing to stop for purely no tax wouldn't seem justifiable

I believe it's too high risk for this. Whilst potentially true that failing to stop for simply having no tax/mot/insurance is very rare, it isn't un heard of.

For FTS/stolen markers, RTPC are permitted to do tactical contact if the situation calls for it and it's justified. Doing tactical contact on a vehicle failing to stop for purely no tax wouldn't seem justifiable
I pulled someone over for a tax or insurance marker, don't remember, he FTS'ed and RTPC did tactical contact.

Hello Rayson,

Thanks for the suggestion.

RTPC have to assess and justify the risk of a pursuit based on the evidence and risk at the time of the pursuit engagement.

The likelihood is that a tax marker offence would be stood down if speeds were too high and subsequent pursuit risk increases - this before tactics are even considered.

The above listed are non endorsable offences so generally will mean points are not issued however they will engage in a pursuit if the conditions and risk assessment allows, however attempting tactics and tactical contact increases the risk to other members of public and on balance for these offences that would not be an acceptable risk.

Furthermore from an asset management perspective, I would want RTPC to prioritise the most dangerous types of vehicle offences such as stolen vehicles and drunk/drug/dangerous driving.

Therefore on this basis unfortunately i will be declining this suggestion on this occasion.

Status
Not open for further replies.