Accepted Friday Night Patrols - Discord Pings

The suggestion has been accepted.

(CR2) Keiron

Assistant Head of Civ
Reaction score
Hello!

As we all know, around Thursday morning, the Patrol gets announced in the patrols and events channel in discord. The announcement says to "sign up if you see it", and there is no ping on that message, presumably as it's supposed to be "if you see it"

However, shortly after, every division will copy the message, and ping it out to their members, which kind of defeats the whole point of "sign up if you see it", as you don't get the choice, you are seeing it, especially if you are in multiple divisions, as you get the exact same message, pinged to you multiple times in a short space of time.

In a way, you could call this spam, and alot of people often get upset and moan about these pings, every singe time! I personally don't mind or moan, as my phone and PC have this magic silent mode button, and I get to sleep in silence, but admittedly, sometimes when I am on-call night shift, and I cannot silence my phone, they are a little annoying in the morning. Another suggestion that is often thrown to those who don't like getting pinged 5 times in 5 minutes for the same message all over the discord, is just to mute the channels, however since these are normally posted in the muster room's, muting that channel will cause people to miss important pings.

So, my suggestion is a pretty simple one. Since everyone that plays the server gets pinged anyway, why not just ping @verfied for example in the main announcement in patrols and events. That way, everyone only gets one ping, in one place. They don't have to mute their muster rooms. They can then still mute the patrols and events channel if they don't want those pings, but they won't miss important divisional stuff. Since it's posted in a public channel in the first place, it's not like it's something that is locked behind a whitelisted role, so all in all, it seems like a win-win for everyone.

Alternatively, a reaction role for "patrols and events subscriber" could be set-up for example.

Last edited:
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
To add onto this,

Pinging centrally in the Patrols channel, and then individual pings for only the divisions lacking numbers is a really effective way to go about it

Upvoted! :)

I do like the idea of a patrol and events tag, similar to dev blog subscriber etc.

Leave this with me to liaise with SM and I’ll see what i can bring back 👀

I return…

Suggestion moved to accepted. Something shiny will be implemented, although no direct ETA

The speed of my liaising skills should determine the ETA

This suggestion has now been implemented. You can get your role in the #role-assignment section on Discord

Thanks