Suggestion Declined MET - AFO: Armed Pursuit Comms

The suggestion has been declined. See further details below.

(OS6) Larry B

Sergeant
Reaction score
Suggestion Title: Pursuit Comms

Division: MET - AFO

Hello

Is it possible the IPP for a armed pursuit can be made a urgent message?
Purely based on the fact there is firearms involved which poses a significant threat to life for the general public?

Could this atleast be looked into?

Many thanks
Larry B

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Suggestion Title: Pursuit Comms

Division: MET - AFO

Hello

Is it possible the IPP for a armed pursuit can be made a urgent message?
Purely based on the fact there is firearms involved which poses a significant threat to life for the general public?

Could this atleast be looked into?

Many thanks
Larry B

Good evening Larry,

I have had a conversation with other AFO command members and a Control TL has inputted their opinion on your suggestion.

Whilst I understand your point, it would be unfair to class all ARV involved pursuits as 'urgent'. This is because it is completely dependent on what is being transmitted over the radio and whether your MP is imperative to pass over the on-going communications at that exact moment.

For example, an officer is transmitting an urgent message over the radio, regarding a person with a machete. Meanwhile, you are in the initial pursuit phase of an ARV pursuit - the original reason for stop being a weapons marker that was already aware of your presence. I hope you can agree with me that it would be unfair for your MP communications to take priority over an officer who is dealing with an imminent threat to his life.

Whilst I do agree that all pursuits involving the threat of firearms do pose a significant threat to life for the general public, we want to avoid AFOs thinking that their communications take precedence over any other incident going on at that current time.

Therefore, we will not be making the change to class all armed pursuits as 'urgent' and instead leave it down to the officer's discretion.

On the basis of this, I will be marking this suggestion as DECLINED.

Kind Regards,

(FS5) Jackomondo
AFO Command