Suggestion Declined MET - ERT: ERT IPP changes

The suggestion has been declined. See further details below.

Top_Guy

Banned
Reaction score
Suggestion Title: ERT IPP changes

Division: MET - ERT

So the current ruling is that IPP cannot stop or pursue motorbikes or Commercial Vehicles. To my knowledge I believe the reasoning behind this is due to the risk. However what is the risk in attempting to stop a vehicle?

My suggestion is to alter the rules to allow IPP drivers at least attempt stops on such vehicles as there is no risk to attempting to stop somebody the risk is only when a driver fails to stop. I still however agree that IPP should not pursue such vehicles.

The ruling essentially mean that if criminals are on a bike or a quad bike or in a lorry then they escape the risk of being stopped by police as RTPC is always busy.

If we take a look at Pursuit Standard Operating Procedures that the Met released in 2018 it states that an IPP driver cannot pursue motorbikes however this shouldn't deter officers from attempting to stop such vehicles

Can we not install abit of trust and responsibility into IPP and let them carry out their role as an IPP driver.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.

So the current ruling is that IPP cannot stop or pursue motorbikes or Commercial Vehicles. To my knowledge I believe the reasoning behind this is due to the risk. However what is the risk in attempting to stop a vehicle?

My suggestion is to alter the rules to allow IPP drivers at least attempt stops on such vehicles as there is no risk to attempting to stop somebody the risk is only when a driver fails to stop. I still however agree that IPP should not pursue such vehicles.

The ruling essentially mean that if criminals are on a bike or a quad bike or in a lorry then they escape the risk of being stopped by police as RTPC is always busy.

If we take a look at Pursuit Standard Operating Procedures that the Met released in 2018 it states that an IPP driver cannot pursue motorbikes however this shouldn't deter officers from attempting to stop such vehicles

Can we not install abit of trust and responsibility into IPP and let them carry out their role as an IPP driver.
But if they attempt to pull over the vehicle and it then FTS they would immediately have to stand down and definitely allow the criminal to get away. Why not follow and wait for a traffic unit to be free like currently?
Just a thought

If they suspect the vehicle is going to FTS then traffic should be called. The odds that a normal rider or driver will fail to stop is relatively low so why waste a resource
But if they attempt to pull over the vehicle and it then FTS they would immediately have to stand down and definitely allow the criminal to get away. Why not follow and wait for a traffic unit to be free like currently?
Just a thought

Definitely something we will be looking into and I have no doubt we will confer with yourself as RTPC

As you see he said that RTPC are always busy during peek time or even just in general. they you should open RTPC applications so that new members can join and hopefully make it so RTPC are always Free just like ERT are ALWAYS free

I agree, realistically it is very rare for a HGV/LGV to fail to stop.

Good morning,

Thank you for the suggestion.

We have discussed this thoroughly in ERT Command. After weighing the pros and cons, it has been decided that the suggestion will be moved to the declined suggestions area. Thank you for your input, and we appreciate your understanding regarding this decision.

Please do not hesitate to submit further suggestions in the future.

(RS4) Tony