Suggestion Declined MET - RTPC: RTPC being supported by AFO

The suggestion has been declined. See further details below.

Jackomondo

Reaction score
Suggestion Title: RTPC being supported by AFO

Division: MET - RTPC

Hello,

I am proposing the idea of attaching ARVs on "RTPC" pursuits and vice versa. I feel like there could be such a good relationship between the 2 professional divisions and an opportunity for both sides to excel in what they do with the support of the other.

For example, if this were to be implemented, pursuits involving any form of knife crime or weapons would have ARV attendance to support RTPC. Alternatively, if it were a pursuit initiated because the vehicle had an MOT marker, then AFO wouldn't be called. To make it clear, firearms officers wouldn't take over and push RTPC to the side, they would be there to support them.

Likewise, RTPC can assist with AFO pursuits. Most likely, it would be to spike the suspect and bring the pursuit to a safe stop. I have attached a video that involves the use of RTPC on an ARV-led pursuit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEicrTt8HjA

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,
Jackomondo

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Suggestion Title: RTPC being supported by AFO

Division: MET - RTPC

Hello,

I am proposing the idea of attaching ARVs on "RTPC" pursuits and vice versa. I feel like there could be such a good relationship between the 2 professional divisions and an opportunity for both sides to excel in what they do with the support of the other.

For example, if this were to be implemented, pursuits involving any form of knife crime or weapons would have ARV attendance to support RTPC. Alternatively, if it were a pursuit initiated because the vehicle had an MOT marker, then AFO wouldn't be called. To make it clear, firearms officers wouldn't take over and push RTPC to the side, they would be there to support them.

Likewise, RTPC can assist with AFO pursuits. Most likely, it would be to spike the suspect and bring the pursuit to a safe stop. I have attached a video that involves the use of RTPC on an ARV-led pursuit.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,
Jackomondo
Hi Jackomondo,

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately on this occasion we will be declining this, let me explain why,

Senior Command looked at this when we standardised TPAC and again decided against.

The diagram you enclosed (whilst tactically sound) within the framework of GTA it would be very hard to pursuit manage and probably end up with various collisions or shunts.

RTPC on AFO pursuits would be dangerous, if that suspect gets out of the car and starts shooting then RTPC have no ballistic protection etc. It just wouldn't happen.
AFO on RTPC pursuits is more likely and happens when there are limited TPAC assets but that has to be the limitation otherwise are we standing down Roads Policing Officers in favour of AFO TPAC? We have to find a compromise, nothing is ever perfect but we believe this is currently the right balance.

Hi Jackomondo,

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately on this occasion we will be declining this, let me explain why,

Senior Command looked at this when we standardised TPAC and again decided against.

The diagram you enclosed (whilst tactically sound) within the framework of GTA it would be very hard to pursuit manage and probably end up with various collisions or shunts.

RTPC on AFO pursuits would be dangerous, if that suspect gets out of the car and starts shooting then RTPC have no ballistic protection etc. It just wouldn't happen.
AFO on RTPC pursuits is more likely and happens when there are limited TPAC assets but that has to be the limitation otherwise are we standing down Roads Policing Officers in favour of AFO TPAC? We have to find a compromise, nothing is ever perfect but we believe this is currently the right balance.
This makes sense, thank you for the explanation!