Suggestion Declined NHS/LAS: New medication to slow the heart-rate

The suggestion has been declined. See further details below.

(E7) LexiPotato

Asst. Emergency Medical Director
Reaction score
Suggestion Title: New medication to slow the heart-rate

Division: NHS/LAS

On some scenes recently, patients heart rates have been incredibly high, whilst all the other vitals have been relatively stable. The only medication we currently have that can slow down a persons heart rate is digoxin, but that's typically used on the server for chest pains and heart attacks

It would be good to have 1 or 2 medications added to our scope of practice that we can use to just decrease a persons heart rate. From looking on google, I've found a few, my recommendations would be the following:

propranolol - This is classed as a 'beta blocker' and can decrease a persons heart rate. It can also help prevent migranes

Atenolol - This is also classed as a 'beta blocker' and can help decrease a persons blood pressure

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Hello Lexi,

Thank you for the suggestion,

The LAS already have drugs that are capable of dealing with high heart rate. Digoxin (available at an AP scope) can be used to decrease heart rate as well as for patients with severe chest pains and for when people have an Heart attack. We also have a drug already to deal with high blood pressure. Naloxone can be used to cause hypotension (decrease in blood pressure) as well as its other purpose to deal with overdoses. due to the drugs to deal with this already we are not looking to add anymore variants to avoid over complication.

We will also add this extra purposes for the drugs in our pocket drug guide and our training packages.

On that basis i will be Declining this suggestion