Declined PANIC BUTTON USAGE

The suggestion has been declined.
Status
Not open for further replies.

J.Clarkson

Reaction score
At the time of writing, it's 00:45, so excuse any grammatical errors.

It's occurred to me that a lot of panic activation's are for things which don't actually require it. E.g an AI begins to hit you - use your baton or taser. You've been slightly hit by a vehicle and you've got a bruise. Not things which require panics or large scale responses. Going down grove street and trying to arrest one of the people who live in the cul de sac neighbourhood - nice try. You'll be gunned down by 10 people, so let's not go down there.

What should we be using panics for? E.g - I've been shot in the chest and am going to die. I've been knifed and are bleeding out. I believe that I face an active threat to my life and cannot deal with it using my training - AT, PAVA, Taser, Common Sense. I've driven off the cliff and will drown in 5 minutes.

I would estimate that there are maybe 3/4 panics an hour? Just doesn't seem proportionate to what actually goes on in my opinion. I mean the word gives it away, panic. Life threatening situations where you physically cannot deal with it, or need urgent assistance because you're outnumbered by aggressive people.

Not sure what everyone's opinions will be on this, some might agree, some might not. Absolutely welcome conversation below. Would just suggest some policy on use of panics because they happen way too much for things that quite simply aren't appropriate. The radio exists folks, if you sense you could need some assistance, say so.

Alex Rae.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
100% with you on this, the amount of times people hit panic buttons when there are already loads of units on scene needs addressing.

In agreement but feel this would just be a moderation issue and nothing that could be stopped occurring to a certain degree. It will be an interesting response.

At the time of writing, it's 00:45, so excuse any grammatical errors.

It's occurred to me that a lot of panic activation's are for things which don't actually require it. E.g an AI begins to hit you - use your baton or taser. You've been slightly hit by a vehicle and you've got a bruise. Not things which require panics or large scale responses. Going down grove street and trying to arrest one of the people who live in the cul de sac neighbourhood - nice try. You'll be gunned down by 10 people, so let's not go down there.

What should we be using panics for? E.g - I've been shot in the chest and am going to die. I've been knifed and are bleeding out. I believe that I face an active threat to my life and cannot deal with it using my training - AT, PAVA, Taser, Common Sense. I've driven off the cliff and will drown in 5 minutes.

I would estimate that there are maybe 3/4 panics an hour? Just doesn't seem proportionate to what actually goes on in my opinion. I mean the word gives it away, panic. Life threatening situations where you physically cannot deal with it, or need urgent assistance because you're outnumbered by aggressive people.

Not sure what everyone's opinions will be on this, some might agree, some might not. Absolutely welcome conversation below. Would just suggest some policy on use of panics because they happen way too much for things that quite simply aren't appropriate. The radio exists folks, if you sense you could need some assistance, say so.

Alex Rae.
I have raised this time and time again and nothing has changed and no effort has been made to address the amount of panics. I even suggested having to hold the button for like 2 seconds to avoid accidental presses and in line with real life.

I will say though that it depends what I'm on as. Bear in mind if a Paramedic or someone in another division comes under attack they would probably hit the panic button with a lower threshold than a Police Officer.

I doubt anything will change due to the fact that in real life panic buttons are random, and they are the same in game - in real life, there could be 2 panic buttons in the space of 10 minutes so there's no point in limiting the panics in game when it's the same as in real life. If the panic is false or is not needed, it will either be a moderation issue or a divisional issue - not a developer issue

I doubt anything will change due to the fact that in real life panic buttons are random, and they are the same in game - in real life, there could be 2 panic buttons in the space of 10 minutes so there's no point in limiting the panics in game when it's the same as in real life. If the panic is false or is not needed, it will either be a moderation issue or a divisional issue - not a developer issue
This should technically be in divisional suggestions, since like you said it's not a Dev Issue. My issue is more-so what people are pressing them for, not that there's a possibility that 2 panics can go off for legitimate reasons within the space of 10 mins. Divisions need to make it specifically clear what constitutes an appropriate panic button, instead of what we're seeing right now. I refer to my examples listed above. And honestly, doing that would kill a lot of time that is wasted by either - units going to panic and then not being needed, or mods having to go to them because someone's reported them.

Apart from the fact they shouldn't activate instantly which is clearly one of the reasons for so many activations in game. That isn't realistic. In fact something else I've learnt is apparently they're not even allowed to be instant in real life due to accidental activations so they're on a 2 second hold down. Last time I suggested it I got told the reason its instant is because of the threat to life...considering its not even instant when real lives are at risk I feel it kinda shoots that argument down.

Would have thought as well by all the accidental activations it potentially undermines the use of panic buttons as an emergency situation only.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230124_211622_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230124_211622_Chrome.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 12
Status
Not open for further replies.