Declined Radio Usage and Channels suggestion

The suggestion has been declined.

Top_Guy

Banned
Reaction score
So the issue I wish to address if the fact that the radio is nearly always manic, even with control online. My suggestion to address this is as follows. Firstly each divison will have it's own separate radio channel and then for calls units will be automatically switched to an incident channel.

Layout as follows

ERT- Channel 1
Incident 1 - Channel 1.1
Incident 2 - Channel 1.2
Incident 3 - Channel 1.3
Incident 4 - Channel 1.4

CID - Channel 2
Incident 1 - Channel 2.1
Incident 2 - Channel 2.2
Incident 3 - Channel 2.3
Incident 4 - Channel 2.4

DSU - Channel 3
Incident 1 - Channel 3.1
Incident 2 - Channel 3.2
Incident 3 - Channel 3.3
Incident 4 - Channel 3.4

RTPC - Channel 4
Incident 1 - Channel 4.1
Incident 2 - Channel 4.2
Incident 3 - Channel 4.3
Incident 4 - Channel 4.4

AFO - Channel 5
Incident 1 - Channel 5.1
Incident 2 - Channel 5.2
Incident 3 - Channel 5.3
Indecent 4 - Channel 5.4

LAS, HEMS, HART - Channel 6
Incident 1 - Channel 6.1
Incident 2 - Channel 6.2
Incident 3 - Channel 6.3
Incident 4 - Channel 6.4

LFB - Channel 7
Incident 1 - Channel 7.1
Incident 2 - Channel 7.2
Incident 3 - Channel 7.3
Incident 4 - Channel 7.4

Auxiliary Operations (Air Ops, NH) - Channel 8
Incident 1 - Channel 8.1
Incident 2 - Channel 8.2
Incident 3 - Channel 8.3
Incident 4 - Channel 8.4

999 Calls/ Control - Channel 9
Civ talk 1 - Channel 9.1
Civ talk 2 - Channel 9.2
Civ talk 3- Channel 9.3

This will allow everyone in each divison a better way to communicate whist also keeping radio communications to a minimum. If a unit from another unit the individual simply flicks to the master channel and requests the backup needed and then moves to an incident channel where they are free to communicate without any interruption. For example:

ERT has stopped a man who they believe to be under the influence of drugs and request support from RTPC to test the driver and also DSU to search the vehicle. I would simply notify members in Channel 1 that Channel 1.1 is in use. Flick to Channel 4 and request assistance due to a man under the influence and inform them to move to Channel 1.1. I would then repeat the same message for Channel 3. This way I can explain the situation without fear of interpretation and with the knowledge that the information I have sent has been received.

The way this would work with control thathat they would be the ones to appoint channels for any 999 calls they receive either through cad or from a call hander in the 999 channel. They can then appoint units that they need. If a unit needs to call control they can also move to channel 9 and inform control who can then send the appropriate information. This would also give more power to FIM as all authorisations would be given through them. However if FIM is not active it would be up to the individual who requires the authorisation to seek it. I.e AFO in 5.1 would need to return to Channel 5 to seek weapon authorisation or self auth.

Like with anything this suggestion would be a huge change however it would prevent many of the issues we are seeing with having so many units in one channel. This would be a long time in the making and getting used to however it would be a much more effective way of working.

The way this would work in terms of Helimed and NPAS is the same. Units requesting would join Channel 8 and request the appropriate unit who would then switch to the necessary sub channel

Apologies for the rather lengthy post. Also before anyone replies with "Game mods can handle it" they have been working their socks off and them having to condtantly deal things on the radio takes them away from other things.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
This was lengthy to read but a very good idea to be fair, would help it alot better and mediate things abit better, +1 from me!

Would control be expected to jump between channels to get units? This could become quite difficult with only one controller and perhaps even be a hefty workload for 2 during more active times.

Not completely against it as I would love having separate divisional incident channels just wondering about the control side.

From a Control point of view this would be better than it is now. +1

Would control be expected to jump between channels to get units? This could become quite difficult with only one controller and perhaps even be a hefty workload for 2 during more active times.

Not completely against it as I would love having separate divisional incident channels just wondering about the control side.
Believe compared to what control has now it would be okay. Maybe abit of alot to begin with however would be better in my opinion. Besides it would all depends on the amount of incoming 999 calls and also the calls generated by what officers are reporting.

So the issue I wish to address if the fact that the radio is nearly always manic, even with control online. My suggestion to address this is as follows. Firstly each divison will have it's own separate radio channel and then for calls units will be automatically switched to an incident channel.

Layout as follows

ERT- Channel 1
Incident 1 - Channel 1.1
Incident 2 - Channel 1.2
Incident 3 - Channel 1.3
Incident 4 - Channel 1.4

CID - Channel 2
Incident 1 - Channel 2.1
Incident 2 - Channel 2.2
Incident 3 - Channel 2.3
Incident 4 - Channel 2.4

DSU - Channel 3
Incident 1 - Channel 3.1
Incident 2 - Channel 3.2
Incident 3 - Channel 3.3
Incident 4 - Channel 3.4

RTPC - Channel 4
Incident 1 - Channel 4.1
Incident 2 - Channel 4.2
Incident 3 - Channel 4.3
Incident 4 - Channel 4.4

AFO - Channel 5
Incident 1 - Channel 5.1
Incident 2 - Channel 5.2
Incident 3 - Channel 5.3
Indecent 4 - Channel 5.4

Incident 1 - Channel 6.1
Incident 2 - Channel 6.2
Incident 3 - Channel 6.3
Incident 4 - Channel 6.4

LFB - Channel 7
Incident 1 - Channel 7.1
Incident 2 - Channel 7.2
Incident 3 - Channel 7.3
Incident 4 - Channel 7.4

Incident 1 - Channel 8.1
Incident 2 - Channel 8.2
Incident 3 - Channel 8.3
Incident 4 - Channel 8.4

Civ talk 1 - Channel 9.1
Civ talk 2 - Channel 9.2
Civ talk 3- Channel 9.3

This will allow everyone in each divison a better way to communicate whist also keeping radio communications to a minimum. If a unit from another unit the individual simply flicks to the master channel and requests the backup needed and then moves to an incident channel where they are free to communicate without any interruption. For example:

ERT has stopped a man who they believe to be under the influence of drugs and request support from RTPC to test the driver and also DSU to search the vehicle. I would simply notify members in Channel 1 that Channel 1.1 is in use. Flick to Channel 4 and request assistance due to a man under the influence and inform them to move to Channel 1.1. I would then repeat the same message for Channel 3. This way I can explain the situation without fear of interpretation and with the knowledge that the information I have sent has been received.

The way this would work with control thathat they would be the ones to appoint channels for any 999 calls they receive either through cad or from a call hander in the 999 channel. They can then appoint units that they need. If a unit needs to call control they can also move to channel 9 and inform control who can then send the appropriate information. This would also give more power to FIM as all authorisations would be given through them. However if FIM is not active it would be up to the individual who requires the authorisation to seek it. I.e AFO in 5.1 would need to return to Channel 5 to seek weapon authorisation or self auth.

Like with anything this suggestion would be a huge change however it would prevent many of the issues we are seeing with having so many units in one channel. This would be a long time in the making and getting used to however it would be a much more effective way of working.

The way this would work in terms of Helimed and NPAS is the same. Units requesting would join Channel 8 and request the appropriate unit who would then switch to the necessary sub channel

Apologies for the rather lengthy post. Also before anyone replies with "Game mods can handle it" they have been working their socks off and them having to condtantly deal things on the radio takes them away from other things.
Not even just the comms have been poor to say the least recently which is true and does need a whole change but this idea itself would be magnificent if it got added, It would add so much tho the realism and just be such a good concept even if it was on trial etc but yeah from my pov this would be fantastic!

Hi there Top_Guy,

Firstly, thank you for spending the time on this suggestion, very detailed!

May I just ask you to elaborate on how Control would work with this channel layout?

Kind Regards,
(E5) Clynx

Hi there Top_Guy,

May I just ask you to elaborate on how Control would work with this channel layout?

Kind Regards,
(E5) Clynx
From my pov, it sounds great, however it seems a bit more of a pain for control since there would then seem to be that theres multiple channels meaning control will have to drop in and out of every channel constantly making it more of a pain if anything. This would only really work if teamspeak (will never be added) was introduced as part of policemp.

Hi there Top_Guy,

Kind Regards,
(E5) Clynx
So I believe its something that needs abit more discussion however there is alot of ways I can think of doing it. With the layout above control will obviously receive a cad 999 call and then depending on what unit is required will then go into that channel and requests a unit to attend the job and move into a sub channel.

I.e Channel 6 for LAS for an RTC and move to channel 6.1.

This now means that they have a separate channel to communicate. If they request any other units they simply turn to channel 9 and quote the job they've been sent to and then go ahead with the units they need. Control then acknowledges and goes to the appropriate channels to send units into the sub channel.

For authorisations when control is on units will have to turn to channel 9 for anything such as fail to stops or for weapon authorisations. When FIM is online they will obviously take this role. When there is more than one controller available that obviously opens another avenue to introduce a 999 call channel where that controller can act as a call handler and gather the necessary information and communicating this to the other controller who gathers the appropriate units.

Once a unit has finished with an incident channel they will obviously return to Channel 9 to inform control that the job is complete and that the channel is free for use.

When control isnt active units will be available to assing their own sub channels and have to gather their own units from other divisons and also authorisations

On the other hand the other way I'm thinking this could be done is similar to how it works now except everyone keeps their separate channel and there are the Channel 10 can be the incident channel with 32 sub channels. For example FTS with ERT. If control is on they will switch to channel 9 inform control and control will then assign a sub channel such as 10.1 and then send appropriate units. It will work similar in terms of FIM and when control isn't available.

The only reason I suggest giving divisons at least one sub channel is for things such as checkpoints or for when people wish to take part in monthly operations without causing mayhem in a channel

Sorry for the lengthy reply Clynx

From my pov, it sounds great, however it seems a bit more of a pain for control since there would then seem to be that theres multiple channels meaning control will have to drop in and out of every channel constantly making it more of a pain if anything. This would only really work if teamspeak (will never be added) was introduced as part of policemp.
So controls role will be to purely to authorise certain things as it does now and also assign channels. For anything else units will have to return for channel 9. It makes it so that control doesn't have to go around chasing people. People will have to go to control

Also seen multiple programs where more than 10 channels is available so would just mean a systems change or for devs to figure a way to add more frequencies

Last edited:
Basically you want to have 35 incident radio channels.
With the added benefit of divisons being able to communicate freely without the risk of talking over someone. Also means that the right information is getting to the correct people. I.e Observations for individuals or vehicles

Also allows Incident commanders to communicate better with officers on the ground to gauge a better picture of whatever is going on

But then units on scene work with other agencies. For example, HART, FRU, LFB, Para's. They all communicate on fires and things directly to eachother through BA Teams, Surveillance like drone, etc No matter what divisions will need to overlap. When there is enough control on we get split. Police Divs, Then NHS and LFB, Highways, then there are incident/ pursuit channels. More channels would be good for peak times to be fair.
In my opinion, The system we have know works well and is not overcomplicated. There would be way too many channel changes going on and important info can get missed because someone left the channel to get control.

ERT/DSU/CID Channel 1
Incident 1 - Channel 1.1
Incident 2 - Channel 1.2
Incident 3 - Channel 1.3
Incident 4 - Channel 1.4

AFO/RTPC - Channel 2
Incident 1 - Channel 2.1
Incident 2 - Channel 2.2
Incident 3 - Channel 2.3
Incident 4 - Channel 2.4

LAS/LFB/HEMS/HART - Channel 3
Incident 1 - Channel 3.1
Incident 2 - Channel 3.2
Incident 3 - Channel 3.3
Incident 4 - Channel 3.4

Auxiliary Operations (Air Ops, NH) - Channel 4
Incident 1 - Channel 4.1
Incident 2 - Channel 4.2
Incident 3 - Channel 4.3
Incident 4 - Channel 4.4

999 Calls - Channel 5
Incident 1 - Channel 5.1
Incident 2 - Channel 5.2
Incident 3 - Channel 5.3
Incident 4 - Channel 5.4

Hi there i think this would be better it narrows it down.

But then units on scene work with other agencies. For example, HART, FRU, LFB, Para's. They all communicate on fires and things directly to eachother through BA Teams, Surveillance like drone, etc No matter what divisions will need to overlap. When there is enough control on we get split. Police Divs, Then NHS and LFB, Highways, then there are incident/ pursuit channels. More channels would be good for peak times to be fair.
In my opinion, The system we have know works well and is not overcomplicated. There would be way too many channel changes going on and important info can get missed because someone left the channel to get control.
Have to admit the system we have now was good for when we had 50 max people on at a time. Now especially on channel 1 is a bombardment of crazy police comms where I can tell you from experience that alot of information gets missed because everyone is constantly fighting to get a word in. Either radio communication skills need to dramatically improve or we need to introduce a way where people can pass information freely.

ERT/DSU/CID Channel 1
Incident 1 - Channel 1.1
Incident 2 - Channel 1.2
Incident 3 - Channel 1.3
Incident 4 - Channel 1.4

AFO/RTPC - Channel 2
Incident 1 - Channel 2.1
Incident 2 - Channel 2.2
Incident 3 - Channel 2.3
Incident 4 - Channel 2.4

Incident 1 - Channel 3.1
Incident 2 - Channel 3.2
Incident 3 - Channel 3.3
Incident 4 - Channel 3.4

Incident 1 - Channel 4.1
Incident 2 - Channel 4.2
Incident 3 - Channel 4.3
Incident 4 - Channel 4.4

999 Calls - Channel 5
Incident 1 - Channel 5.1
Incident 2 - Channel 5.2
Incident 3 - Channel 5.3
Incident 4 - Channel 5.4

Believe this was done yesterday by control and it worked fairly well. Have to get Ben W's opinion

ERT/DSU/CID Channel 1
Incident 1 - Channel 1.1
Incident 2 - Channel 1.2
Incident 3 - Channel 1.3
Incident 4 - Channel 1.4

AFO/RTPC - Channel 2
Incident 1 - Channel 2.1
Incident 2 - Channel 2.2
Incident 3 - Channel 2.3
Incident 4 - Channel 2.4

Incident 1 - Channel 3.1
Incident 2 - Channel 3.2
Incident 3 - Channel 3.3
Incident 4 - Channel 3.4

Incident 1 - Channel 4.1
Incident 2 - Channel 4.2
Incident 3 - Channel 4.3
Incident 4 - Channel 4.4

999 Calls - Channel 5
Incident 1 - Channel 5.1
Incident 2 - Channel 5.2
Incident 3 - Channel 5.3
Incident 4 - Channel 5.4

Don't really understand the "channel 1.1, 1.2 etc. Are these actual channels in game or?

Layout as follows

ERT- Channel 1
Incident 1 - Channel 1.1
Incident 2 - Channel 1.2
Incident 3 - Channel 1.3
Incident 4 - Channel 1.4

CID - Channel 2
Incident 1 - Channel 2.1
Incident 2 - Channel 2.2
Incident 3 - Channel 2.3
Incident 4 - Channel 2.4

DSU - Channel 3
Incident 1 - Channel 3.1
Incident 2 - Channel 3.2
Incident 3 - Channel 3.3
Incident 4 - Channel 3.4

RTPC - Channel 4
Incident 1 - Channel 4.1
Incident 2 - Channel 4.2
Incident 3 - Channel 4.3
Incident 4 - Channel 4.4

AFO - Channel 5
Incident 1 - Channel 5.1
Incident 2 - Channel 5.2
Incident 3 - Channel 5.3
Indecent 4 - Channel 5.4

Incident 1 - Channel 6.1
Incident 2 - Channel 6.2
Incident 3 - Channel 6.3
Incident 4 - Channel 6.4

LFB - Channel 7
Incident 1 - Channel 7.1
Incident 2 - Channel 7.2
Incident 3 - Channel 7.3
Incident 4 - Channel 7.4

Incident 1 - Channel 8.1
Incident 2 - Channel 8.2
Incident 3 - Channel 8.3
Incident 4 - Channel 8.4

Civ talk 1 - Channel 9.1
Civ talk 2 - Channel 9.2
Civ talk 3- Channel 9.3

+1

Even though this might be slightly more confusing for new players, I think it's now appropriate with the huge rise in players.

I agree. I see pros and cons to this idea but it's hard to dispute that comms are challenging and especially as the server has grown massively. I think solutions should be considered even if not this one. The good thing is I've noticed it seems Control is on more now and fairly often more than one controller which is nice to see.