Declined Removing F2 tracking menu

The suggestion has been declined.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 5106

It sounds far out there to remove such a large asset to PoliceMP in game, however I think using f2 is unrealistic and doesn't feel enjoyable especially when trying to respond to a pursuit, all that requires is the MP MP and tactic authorisation then you don't need to use comms anymore and all I have to do is follow my GPS to the unit im pursuing. I think removing this would require comms to be much better and more on point and make things more enjoyable especially pursuit wise. I can understand why this would be declined, and wouldn't like to be added, however I think it could be something interesting to take into account.

Open to hear other peoples opinions below.

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I would have to respectfully, strongly disagree.
To have to learn the road names to understand where exactly someone is located would be a pain in the backside. Constantly asking in chat/over radio "What is your location", "What is your location" clogging up the radio, the time it would take to have people respond to Civ scenes more then it already takes when control is online, it would just be a whole palaver. I agree it would make it more realistic but you have to remember first and foremost this is a game. It would also be a pain in the neck for new players and off-putting especially since FiveM servers don't all have the same postals in the same area.

You do have the option of not utilizing the F2 menu. Nothing stops you from not F2 tracking players. If they give you a postal I'm sure you can make way. I understand however that you may just be met with "Just F2 track me" so I can fully understand your point. I get it not being enjoyable and more of a case of just following a waypoint rather then finding the place yourself. But that will also make it more difficult for new players to pick up the game, some people don't even have much experience with GTAV.

I find having the F2 track menu extremely helpful and is a great QOL on the server, something unique and different. To speak on your "all that requires is the MP MP and tactic authorisation then you don't need to use comms anymore and all I have to do is follow my GPS to the unit im pursuing" I would disagree. There have been countless times where I can visualize what's happening before I'm S6 and when I'm out of range on my minimap to see. But I can hear them saying "Northbound M25" I will then take it upon myself to travel to a cutoff point to place spikes. All comms are still useful regardless if you have a GPS location, just because you have a waypoint doesn't mean you have any idea as to what's going on. I.E speeds, densities, if there is an RTC, resets, left or right turns. Having these over comms means I can prepare myself for what's about to come.

I say all of this in regards to your point about the F2 track :) It would be interesting to hear what other people think but I do see your point from the realism aspect.

I also see where Freddie is coming from but unless I'm missing something this would require everyone who plays the game to memorise the street names and where all the postals are (bearing in mind some duplicates exist). Sure some street names you'll know from memory but as a pursuit/incident could end up anywhere you'll need to learn where they all are. If you don't memorise and you'll have to keep stopping and checking which will lower response times. Also newer players are even less likely to know locations.

Thing is as well even on the M25 comms aren't that helpful because as Poptic says most the time it's M25 Northbound/Southbound. Well that isn't a good enough location. M25 is a long stretch of motorway and Northbound/Southbound is a direction not a location. It's not like we have junction numbers or potentially markerposts to refer to. I think removing the F2 menu will make the game less enjoyable.

I spoke with Freddie prior to him making this suggestion and think it would positively impact things given people would then have to think for themselves instead of just F2 tracking. It also allows for more realistic comms instead of, as Freddie has said, getting initial comms out and then going silent just for people to F2 track.

I think the idea surrounding memorising street names and postals can easily be countered as you would still have /postal there to go to scenes. I also suggest and use in my comms, giving place names such as heading towards Vinewood Station, towards the Pier etc so in pursuit circumstances you don't need to update /postal constantly.

Pursuit-wise, time and time again we see people just F2 track and join the stack instead of thinking for themselves, the best and quickest route to cut off / intercept the pursuit.

I spoke with Freddie prior to him making this suggestion and think it would positively impact things given people would then have to think for themselves instead of just F2 tracking. It also allows for more realistic comms instead of, as Freddie has said, getting initial comms out and then going silent just for people to F2 track.

I think the idea surrounding memorising street names and postals can easily be countered as you would still have /postal there to go to scenes. I also suggest and use in my comms, giving place names such as heading towards Vinewood Station, towards the Pier etc so in pursuit circumstances you don't need to update /postal constantly.

Pursuit-wise, time and time again we see people just F2 track and join the stack instead of thinking for themselves, the best and quickest route to cut off / intercept the pursuit.

So let's put out a server wide vote "Should we ditch F2 track?". Using /postal wouldn't counter the memorising street names as instead you'd just be doing that and wasting even more time and then even still is that much different to an F2 track, instead you're just manually updating the way point. You'd basically be asking everyone to memorise street names/postals as a pursuit is fast moving, you don't have time for /postal every 2 seconds. If using F2 isn't enjoyable to someone than don't use it.

This as well if anything would take people away from thinking about tactics as they're more worried about trying to locate a pursuit in the first place.

This feels like something just to make pursuits last longer rather than bringing a pursuit to a safe conclusion which is where the fun is. In additional it'll probably force the units on the scene to use more reckless tactics as they'll probably need to bring the pursuit to a stop with less units behind them as those units will still be trying to work out where the pursuit is.

At what point do we balance realism with fun? You can try and add more realism but you risk sacrificing the fun of the game. I garentee if this idea is accepted it won't be long before people are begging for F2 to be brought back.

So let's put out a server wide vote "Should we ditch F2 track?". Using /postal wouldn't counter the memorising street names as instead you'd just be doing that and wasting even more time and then even still is that much different to an F2 track, instead you're just manually updating the way point. You'd basically be asking everyone to memorise street names/postals as a pursuit is fast moving, you don't have time for /postal every 2 seconds. If using F2 isn't enjoyable to someone than don't use it.

This as well if anything would take people away from thinking about tactics as they're more worried about trying to locate a pursuit in the first place.

This feels like something just to make pursuits last longer rather than bringing a pursuit to a safe conclusion which is where the fun is. In additional it'll probably force the units on the scene to use more reckless tactics as they'll probably need to bring the pursuit to a stop with less units behind them as those units will still be trying to work out where the pursuit is.

At what point do we balance realism with fun? You can try and add more realism but you risk sacrificing the fun of the game. I garentee if this idea is accepted it won't be long before people are begging for F2 to be brought back.

As I said /postal will be used for callouts, not mid-pursuit - where well-known locations should be used. People constantly using F2 mean they just follow the line and fail to cut off pursuits. Yes, some people do think for themselves but the vast majority just follow the line.

I think it would be good to consider the fun of the pursuit without F2 and blips, having to think in the moment to catch up and cut off the pursuit instead of just following a line.

I don't feel that it would force recklessness during the pursuit or when performing tactics.

We have considered various options in regards to pursuits in the past which may be brought back to the discussion table.

As I said /postal will be used for callouts, not mid-pursuit - where well-known locations should be used. People constantly using F2 mean they just follow the line and fail to cut off pursuits. Yes, some people do think for themselves but the vast majority just follow the line.

I think it would be good to consider the fun of the pursuit without F2 and blips, having to think in the moment to catch up and cut off the pursuit instead of just following a line.

I don't feel that it would force recklessness during the pursuit or when performing tactics.

We have considered various options in regards to pursuits in the past which may be brought back to the discussion table.

So as I say above let's do a serverwide poll/vote. If taking longer to get to someone/somewhere is considered fun it should be an easy win.

Of course it'll cause more reckless moves, if units aren't joining quick enough because they're too busy just trying to work out how to join the pursuit and the pursuit needs to be brought to an end than it'll need to be done with less units which will naturally be more unsafe.

Also /postal is no good for foot pursuits. Remember other departments also use F2 such as DSU to locate a foot chase. Are units now permitted to keep using comms to update the dog unit because before people were told off for that. The whole server shouldn't be punished because a couple of people don't want to use the F2 feature. If this idea is accepted I'd like to repost an idea I shared a while ago where it was decided preservation of life was higher than realism.

This was done before about a year ago ish, And the server went into chaos with people not responding to things, people getting lost, and forum suggestions wanting it added back in, it allows more casual players who may not know the map to find people unlike say more OG players that instantly know where say forum drive is, mt zona etc, I cant say much would will change now if it was done, In the future who knows but right now its a not something that needs changing

Status
Not open for further replies.