Suggestion Accepted Aux - Civ Roleplay: Civ Activity System Overhaul.

The suggestion has been accepted. See further details below.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kube

MET Trainer
Reaction score
Suggestion Title: Civ Activity System Overhaul.

Division: Aux - Civ Roleplay

I would like to begin this proposal by addressing the current method of measuring the Civ activity requirement, which is expressed in points, as opposed to the more common practice in other divisions where time is measured in hours, typically averaging around 8 hours. The dilemma that prompts this suggestion is that a point for one scene is never equal to a point for another scene, which causes an underappreciation for longer, more intricate and complex scenes which are treated no differently than simpler 20-minute scenes. Regardless of the number of units or divisions involved or the duration of the scene, it invariably registers as a solitary point. On average, a scene can take from a minimum of 20 minutes, all the way up to an hour and possibly even an hour and a half. In my personal experience, certain scenes, particularly those requiring elaborate setups, can consume a significant chunk of time, ranging from 25 to 35 minutes before a 999 submission is even considered. Yet, all scenes are still classified as a single point on the activity sheet.

So, for the actual suggestion. I am not against the point system, it is a sound system, however, I believe certain refinements could enhance its effectiveness. My initial proposition would be as follows:

- Add 0.2/0.25 points for each additional division that attends.
↳ This would allow recognition for multi-divisional scenes. Alongside recognition, Command could pair this with the ability to change the multipliers on certain divisions or locations to stimulate increased activity within particular sectors, thereby serving as a middle ground to mitigate the frequent necessity of prohibiting city scenes, which is done quite often. These points could be changed weekly, as targeted locations and divisions come out in response to active statistics that reveal significant gaps in scene activity. While I acknowledge that not every CivRP Actor may respond to these adjustments, the objective is to substantially promote increased engagement, thus presenting a more gradual and constructive approach to achieving certain targets in the division.

To progress from the above point of multipliers, this is something that I believe may be beneficial but not crucial to this suggestion.
- Possibly adding a 1.2 multiplier to scenes that are within the Civ Actors weekly targeted Area/ Division (For example a 1.1 multiplier for Area and a 1.1 Multiplier for Division targeted)
↳ The implementation of such a system would provide a stronger incentive for CivRP Actors to prioritize Targeted Areas. Currently, the approach is a polite reminder each week which is ignored by a fair amount of CivRP Actors, and hence a multiplier would be an effective mechanic that would see an increased compliance to targeted areas..

This next part would be a bigger suggestion that may receive partial backlash:
- Add 0.5 points for each scene that crosses the hour mark.
↳ Recognition for long and extensive scenes. This would require an additional question on the deployment form, however, this measure not only enables the gathering of valuable data but also equips Civ Command with the ability to assess essential statistics, including individual CivRP Actors' average scene duration, overall scene duration by division, and other metrics suitable for monthly or weekly analysis.

In summary, I acknowledge that this suggestion may appear ambitious and long-winded, however, I appreciate if both Civ Command and CivRP Actors could thoroughly review this proposal and provide their feedback, including any potential refinements to the proposal and genuine insights regarding the points I have raised above. I believe this suggestion can potentially introduce positive changes to our current division's activity measurement system and point allocation system. This is similarly seen by CID, as activities that take more time count more towards their point activity requirement. However, for CivRP, the inherent diversity of scenes necessitates a tailored approach. The modifiers absolutely could be and should be tweaked to what command believes is fair for each specification.

The fundamental objective of this proposal is not to compel CivRP to do big scenes. Regardless of the current 1 point fits all system or the one proposed, big scenes and little scenes will continue to be created. This suggestion is primarily focused on recognition and reward mechanism that is proportionate to the time invested by CivRP Actors in each scene. This suggestion is also partially aided by the constant suggestions and comments I hear about "Rural get no scenes", or the fact I don't see many PaDP or RAPTOR scenes, among others. The suggested approach allows to artificially stimulate demand for certain divisions/areas, and the ability to make a balanced activity point system for all types of scenes.

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
This was an interesting read, this seems like a sound improvement actually fair play

As a Civ for a fair amount of time now, I see some merit in this proposal however, from a Command perspective - I do feel this could be a nightmare to manage.

While we know (from pings) that the simplest of rules can't be followed, how are Civ Command to manage this from the perspective of people over exaggerating what they have done?

What would stop me as a civ from pushing the scene unnecessarily out in terms of time? For something that could simply be a 30-45 minute scene, you could extend that to over an hour unnecessarily for the purpose of increasing your points, not for the enjoyment of the targeted division.

Countless times I've put a target division and had not only them, but another turn up as well due to them being in the area - would that count as 0.2/25 due to them turning up?

I can see merit in this as I’ve said, for example an FTS could start with ERT, then RTPC, add on DSU then NPAS and maybe even LAS & LFB, could even consider NH too… based on that alone working on 0.25 – I’ve got over 2 points there just for one FTS.

I can see how this would encourage Civs to expand on their scenes to involve more divisions - I completely get where you're coming from, but how do Civ Command ensure Civs are doing scenes for their purpose on the server, and not just to get points to avoid activity warnings, or worse, false deploying?

Don't get me wrong, I do think some of this has merit and could help in certain situations, but I do see both sides of the coin here and how it could also easily be abused.

So thanks for the review @(OT1) Chinny I'll address your points one by one but before that, I'd like to look at the Civ Activity requirement as the 20 points being comparable to standard divisions 8 hours, hence each point approximately being equal to 24/25 minutes. This can't be a direct comparison however it's the best I can use for the calculations.

So, regarding over exaggerating. Not much can be done unless it's caught out, but that comes with any divisional misconduct.

What would stop you as a civ from pushing the scene out in terms of time? Personally, I wouldn't because it's boring, and I play the game to have fun. I can't speak for others therefore a numerical standpoint, doing 2 scenes in 1 hour 30 minutes would still reward more than 1 scene that pushes the 1 hour 1 minute mark. But of course, it could still happen. Even just pushing it over an hour mark would not be worthwhile if we used the estimated value of 1 point which is currently comparable to 25 minutes, since that would only grant 0.5 (or similar).

Random divisions turning up to calls, if they interacted and got any value out of the scene I don't see why not. It's providing value for players after all. That would need to be decided by command but I personally don't see any issues with Actors discretion. If CivRP Actors just tick the division for false points and it is found, it would be gross misconduct and surely warrant immediate dismissal.

That FTS point you bring up is a good example, it would even encourage CivRP Actors to get LAS involved, cause a big shunt etc, rather than the habit that has arisen in the past of FTS' ending and the Officers just clearing the scene and going about with their day. Having a Fail to Stop that includes RTPC, NPAS, DSU, LFB, LAS, NH and then an additional CIU. That is a minimum of 9 Emergency Worker players, but a maximum of 11 players (if all units are single-crewed, which is usually not the case for LAS and LFB). Having 12+ players occupied for 45ish minutes with multiple parts to a scene I would say is fair RP value delivered for 2 points to be awarded, but that is just my personal opinion.

Civs doing it just to get points to avoid activity warnings, I don't really see as a viable issue. If people don't enjoy the division I don't think they'd bother doing scenes either way. And False deployments are gross misconduct regardless. But I didn't wish for this suggestion to be to encourage players to do bigger scenes, but rather to show recognition that is proportionate to the time invested by CivRP Actors in each scene.

Hello Kube

Thank you for your suggestion this is something that is currently being looked into and I will update with further info when we have it.

Many Thanks
(CR1) Big Al
Deputy Head of Civilian Operations

Status
Not open for further replies.