Suggestion Declined Control: Ops 1 - change

The suggestion has been declined. See further details below.

(OFC) Harry

MET Trainer
Reaction score
Suggestion Title: Ops 1 - change

Division: Control

In addition to control this is an AFO suggestion as well.

Currently we have Ops1 in place to grant firearm authority, pursuit, critical shot and more. However, this is very unrealistic and would be completed by a TFC offsite and would be named Metro Alpha.

I fail to understand how a controller, who has not been in AFO can provide firearm authority, nor critical shot authority with the level of experience they have. If a controller hasn’t been within AFO they are unlikely to know what the best situational outcome of something is. This may seem like I’m just trying to limit this to just AFO however, it seems non logical for a controller with no history in AFO to be able to make decisions that could effect the outcome of the scene intensely.

I would like to point out, this is NOT a dig on any ops 1 operative nor a dig on control, but I believe a additional training for AFO’s would be beneficial and to make AFO’s Metro Alpha. To keep Ops1 for unarmed authority and off-road etc but not for firearm incidents.

Thank you for your time and I can’t wait to hear your response!

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.

See here for more information on this

So, as a long-time Force Incident Manager, I could say that the team they have in the division gets more than adequate training on anything they can authorise. This being from a CID Large Van auth, certain Sections, even Critical Shot authority (which I have never encountered being asked for during my whole time as a FIM). They are trained up to an Inspector level authorisation level, not just handed a tag and told they're able to auth everything.

If you've happened to have a conflict with a certain time something was authorised when you personally believe it shouldn't, or denied it when you wanted it authed, then I'm sure you can voice your concerns to the proper chain.

My understanding of this suggestion "would be completed by a TFC offsite and would be named Metro Alpha" is that you'd prefer only AFO Band 2+ to have the ability to become a Metro Alpha and authorise Firearms/Pursuit/Critical Shot authority, also taking the authorisation ability away from OFCs?

completely agree and I understand where your coming from. I know control has some incredible trainings but sometimes a training can’t equate to experience.

Regarding TFC / OFC, irl a OFC is active 24/7 same as a TFC. However that’s unrealistic. It would make more sense for a training to become Metro Alpha would be open to all AFO, and / or make it a subdivision like CTSFO, EOD, PaDP inside AFO.

completely agree and I understand where your coming from. I know control has some incredible trainings but sometimes a training can’t equate to experience.

Regarding TFC / OFC, irl a OFC is active 24/7 same as a TFC. However that’s unrealistic. It would make more sense for a training to become Metro Alpha would be open to all AFO, and / or make it a subdivision like CTSFO, EOD, PaDP inside AFO.

It's apart of the Control Room, shouldn't come under AFO whatsoever.

Sorry misworded that, it should come under control room but you should be in AFO at the same time. But yeah

MxA is considered THE TFC for any Declared Firearms Incident irl, which is what I assume you are massing this on, however, as far as I'm aware MxA has 0 experience as a Firearms officer out on the street. MxA is a Duty Officer at the inspector rank who sits in the Firearms Pod at MetCC and reviews Radio channels and CADs along with preparing Firearms Briefs, Overlooking incidents, and granting/rescinding Firearms Authority as necessary.

As far as I'm aware they are essentially a very experienced controllers who has undertaken extensive training, just like FIM has.

MxA is considered THE TFC for any Declared Firearms Incident irl, which is what I assume you are massing this on, however, as far as I'm aware MxA has 0 experience as a Firearms officer out on the street. MxA is a Duty Officer at the inspector rank who sits in the Firearms Pod at MetCC and reviews Radio channels and CADs along with preparing Firearms Briefs, Overlooking incidents, and granting/rescinding Firearms Authority as necessary.

As far as I'm aware they are essentially a very experienced controllers who has undertaken extensive training, just like FIM has.
I agree with Ghost on this one.

Hello,

Force Incident Manager come from a variety of backgrounds including Band 2 as well as being selected from the Control Command Team. Force Incident Managers also go through detailed training regarding the use of Critical Shot and weapons authority and in return have a fair understanding when to deny or grant any authority.

Therefore this suggestion will be declined